Friday 3 August 2012

Documenting Delight: day two hundred and sixteen {missing}


Forty four days from this project, this blog, are missing. If you know me personally you would know that when I commit to something I will (generally) see it through. When I started this photographic project, Documenting Delight, I knew it would be the same. I was starting it therefore I would finish it. But then six weeks ago we were broken into and the steady momentum I had going, stopped.

Approaching our front door to see it kicked in, I immediately knew my camera was gone. I stood in my lounge room and spun around to catalogue the missing items; laptop, flat screen TV, my camera, lenses. Gone, gone, gone. Once I ticked these items off I ran to my desk to sight my external hard drive. If it was there, I would be ok. But it wasn’t. Three and a half years of memories were stored in that little black box. Suffice to say I spent the next few hours sobbing, occasionally gaining enough strength to cry out “The photos, the photos.  As someone who has made it a compulsion habit to document the big and the small moments in our family’s life, losing all those 1000s and 1000s of photos…well it broke me a little.

All the other stolen items was just “stuff”. I realised that straight away. While Finn and Harper stood in front of the empty entertainment cabinet crying “Where’s the TV? But where is the TV?” *  I didn’t mourn these things. They could be replaced, but the photos, they were gone in a very permanent way.

Over the next few days the missing photos swamped my thoughts. In quieter moments throughout the day I would make mental lists of the photos that were gone. It got a little compulsive and by my third sleepless night I put an end to it. They were gone. It was sad and disappointing but the situation wasn’t changing.

Of coarse this experience wasn’t just about the missing photos. My attention was also drawn to the insurance claim, a sudden fear for our security within our new home and what the loss of my camera and our laptop meant for this project.

I also learnt a lot and gained a lot during this period too. I accepted that even though I can’t physically see those photos, I was there, I was with my children during those moments and isn’t that the true privilege?

I realised that while I had a massive collection of photos, apart from sitting on my computer and external hard drive, what was I going to do with them? Were they ever going to become something more than files? This experience has made me more determined to be purposeful with the photos I take. Do something with the images; blog them, print them, frame them, make photo books with them. Just do something with them.

Lastly, although I was hugely disappointed to put this photo a day project on hold, I gained a break. A break that allowed me to be completely present with Finn and Harper. No moments where I was engaged in play with them, then had to make a mad dash to grab the camera. No worrying about how and when I would capture the daily photo. No pressure to upload, edit and blog about said photo. No quick checking of Facebook/emails on my laptop (which was quite frankly happening a little too often). Basically, all of that buzzing interference that was swamping me was halted and it felt good.

Maybe I am just trying to justify what was a pretty sucky situation but hand on my heart I am grateful for all of these things.

I have missed this blog, missed using my camera, missed sharing the fun, kookiness and challenges that Finn and Harper bring to this household with you and I have missed my lovely blogger friends.

Rather than focusing on the missing days I choose to see this post as the start of Part Two of my project. Hope you can come along as I start this new adventure.

*Don’t fret, Lachie quickly hooked up an old TV we had our back shed (a TV I had been bugging him to dispose of for weeks and weeks). Once it was sitting on top of the cabinet, the crying ceased and life for Finn and Harper was quickly restored (kids!)

I must acknowledge and thank our friends and family who have supported us during this time. Your understanding and help during this time has made this time so much easier. To Lachie’s family who showed so much concern and thoughtfulness (seriously Rhone, how could we ever thank you enough for what you gave us in lieu of our stolen laptop?), my lovely family who listened and listened to my sad phonecalls about the lost photographs and fully understood how much it all meant to me. To Kate, Andi, Angie – thank you for reaching out . Thank you to all the fellow Documenting delighter’s who showed so much concern when they heard my news. Really, thank you.

{a quiet morning with my quiet guy}

{oh mum i see you have your camera back. ....no,no i'm not rolling my eyes}

28 comments:

  1. ohhhhhhh my heart is just soooo joyful to see this post, these gorgeous photos, your blog up and running again!!! amber, it makes me SO sad to think of your photo loss but your attitude through it all has been amazing and inspiring. You really handled it SO well. And i know this fresh start will be beautiful, refreshing and exciting in lots of ways and u betcha i will be tracking every step :) YAYYYYY keep em coming ok, and one more HOORAY for you, dear friend!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kate, thank you for all your support over this time. Especially at a time when you have been so sick and shouldn't really have to devote energy to things outside of your own family.
      I will always remember your phone call on the day we were broken into. I could tell you were so sick but you gethered up the energy to load me up with lots of love and compassion. Oh, and thank you for lending us your vacuum. You know this gal couldn't have gone 6 weeks with messy floors ;)

      Delete
    2. Hi Amber, just read your blog, so sorry to hear what happened and you're so amazing for handling it like you did. Sending you a big hug, Julia

      Delete
    3. Thank you so much Julia for stopping by and showing your concern. You are so lovely. Hope to see you again soon! xx

      Delete
  2. Again, soooo relieved for you that you have it back!! But still so devastated about all those lost on the external, it makes me so frustrated even thinking about it, so POINTLESS for them to take it! Anyway, you don't need to hear that, really glad to see you have allowed yourself to grieve and heal (it's so unhealthy to try to heal before grieving!) and the gratitude project has obviously taken hold of your heart if, even during your big break, you were able to find gratitude in a situation that was not a fun one. And it's so true, even for my little break, it was nice just being with the kids without the camera. I've been trying to do that since, there is a lot I document, but now there are also lots of things I keep for myself. Sometimes this is harder than others (especially when the light is lovely!) but the kids really sense it when I'm being there. And I do the facebook/email checking way too often too. Sometimes I wish I could just throw all my technology in the bin and be done with it. Just a gift and curse at the same time. Maybe it's there to teach us moderation skills ;) Very happy for you, Han :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Hannah for your lovely comment. It WAS pointless, and it was hard to move away from trying to make sense of it all but I just had to make peace with the situation. d the
      I have noticed the change in your blog too since you had computer issues. It feels good to not put so much pressure on ourselves when it comes to this project. It's huge and there are going to be times when we just can't give 100%. But that's ok.
      Ah, yes moderation!I am learning about that when it comes to technology!

      Delete
  3. Oh Amber, this is such a beautiful post! Welcome back to the project - I've missed your gorgeous images :-) I am so impressed that you can look on the bright side of such a horrible experience and channel those feelings to be invigorated to continue the project and be more purposeful with the photos you take from now on.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Sarah :) I'm feeling the love today!
      I did have a lot of negative feelings to begin with but I quickly figured out it wasn't healthy to hold onto them.
      Thanks again for all your positive support!

      Delete
  4. I would be gutted if I lost our photos, you have an amazing attitude, we do get caught up in these trivial things & meanwhile, our children grow up fast, way too fast!
    I love the third photo, gorgeous angle.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Hanna :) I do try to be in charge of my attitude. Not always the easiest thing to do though!

      Delete
  5. Oh my gosh, losing my photos would destroy me! You're so right about doing something useful with the photos, that's so true. I love that you used your cameraless time to just enjoy your children - I know what you mean about the mad dash for the camera all the time - my partner always rolls his eyes and goes "I knew you were going to get that thing out!" :-P Your photos today are gorgeous, I'm so glad you've gotten back on track!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Emily. I really appreciate your comment. My family laughs about my "need" to whip the camera out at just about every "moment" too :P

      Delete
  6. oh it is just wonderful to have you back in the project. and I think your list of lemonade (from lemons, get it?! haha) are all wonderful things to have gained in the face of sucky circumstances. I particularly can only guess at what a lovely break from all the 'gadgets' it must have been. Having said all of that, I think that having a camera back in your hands is a wonderful thing for you AND for all of us. I will be so pleased to get back to checking on Finn & Harper's adventures.

    x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Sarah for welcoming me back :) Yep, lemonade from lemons - that's what I was trying to acheive. Not sure if it was that convincing but I really did try to see the good in the situation.
      Thanks again for all your tremendous support and gorgeous comments. x

      Delete
  7. YAYAYAYAYAYYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAY!!!!!!!!!!

    I just got incredibly happy, goosebumpy, a wee bit teary and just SUPER excited that youre back.
    STUNNING photos, as always, and what an emotional post. Beautiful words... just YAY!
    xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. THANK YOU Angie for welcoming me back in such an exictable fashion. Love it.
      Thank you for checking in on me during this period. You made me see that I have so many reasons to keep this project up. Thanks again for all your support and care :) xxxx

      Delete
  8. My heart still breaks for you! I can't imagine losing all of those photographs :( But I had to laugh when you wrote that your kids were more concerned about the missing TV!

    Having said that, I look forward to seeing more blog posts from you in the near future :) xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Amber. Your support means a lot to me.
      Yes, the kids sure knew what their priority was!

      Delete
  9. IF you have anything with the cameras serial number, and if you have a Flickr account, you can search for images using that serial number and find where the camera is. Once you have a user with the serial number that match's your camera, you can then report it to Yahoo and/or police, and start actions to get it back!!

    This is why I post to somewhere online, Flickr is just one type available, but you can always have an online filing cabinet (and you can also have them secure so as only "Friends" or "Family" can see)!

    Its so distressing when these things happen... Sorry for the loss and heartache you must be feeling...

    B

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks again for all your advice here and on FB. I really appreciate it :)

      Delete
  10. my heart reaches out to you and your family.
    that is just awful but you are no doubt inspiring your kids in ways that you can't even imagine right now, by getting on with it. your perspective is shaping these little angels.
    shine on, mama bear!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Shabana. I am trying to be a good example to F & H. x

      Delete
  11. Such gorgeous photos, Amber! You have such a great attitude and I really took to heart your thought about photos that just sit in files on the computer- you've inspired me to do something about that, too. So glad you're back!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Nicole and THANK YOU for all your kind words and support during my time away from this blog. You are always so encouraging and kind.
      Glad that you are going to turn those files into something. They deserve it. Your images are beautiful :)

      Delete
  12. Yay Amber, so glad you are set up again and have continued your project, I will be happy to see your posts coming up on the facebook list again! I love that you have seen the positive side of your break and you've said some things in this post that I really need to think about as well, like being in the moment when I'm playing with my kids and not seeing it as a photo op and also about making sure I do something useful with the photos I take! These are gorgeous photos of Finn, can't wait to see more!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awww, thank you Rachael! and thanks for checking in on my during this six weeks of waiting. You're a gem!
      Ahhh yes, I see moments of play and fun as photo ops too. This time has made me realise that it is ok to choose the moment over the image :)

      Delete
  13. So many lovely comments and supportive words above me but I definately need to express how delighted I am that you have bounced back from this negative experience in your life, and are continuing this blog. I know how easy it would have been to give up and I am so proud of you that you chose to keep going! You are such a strong woman Amber and you have inspired so many people, and with this blog you will continue to inspire many more.

    Love ya sweet Amber, you're one of a kind xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Andi, for this comment and all the support you have given me since the break in. I will never forget the sweet & thoughtful parcel you sent down for me <3.
      Love you too my friend. xxx

      Delete