Sunday 10 June 2012

Documenting Delight: day one hundred and sixty two {one on one time with Mr Finn}


It has been a hard week in the little Kite household. My beautiful, confident and persistent Harper May has challenged me in ways that I didn’t think were possible over the past five days. The intensity of her tantrums and reactions to the simplest of requests can overwhelm me. They sometimes overwhelm this whole household.  I spent last night in deep reflection and on top of looking at where Harper is right now and how our parenting can help her manage her big emotions (alongside re-establishing calm to our household) I took a close look at what this week was like for Finn.  My energy was pulled almost solely towards my girl this week. Did Finn complain, whinge, act out? Nope. He helped out, he played independently when I was working through a problem Harper and he drew Harper into his play when he ordinarily would prefer to play alone. I would expect the former but I was so thankful that Finn was the latter this week.

He didn’t ask for much from me this week. He did deserve a lot more of my attention, I know that for sure. So Lach and I put it to Finn this morning that he could choose a special activity to do just with Daddy (don’t worry, Mummy + Finn time will feature later in the day) A visit to Questacon? The War Memorial? A train ride maybe? Of coarse the train ride was selected. We should have known. So the boys took a countrylink trainride from Kingston to Bungendore. A forty minute train ride for our transport-crazy boy. When Harper and I picked them up from the station Finn ran towards me with a squeal.

F: Mum, do you know what my favourite parts were?
M: What were they honey?
F: Going through tunnels, and the view.

He was basically exploding with happiness. Something so simple, but I could tell it meant a great deal to our little guy.
On the way home Lach dropped Finn and I off at the shops to end the day with some Mummy + Finn time. He looked at toys and we shared a date scone. To keep with the transport theme we caught a bus home.

Waiting for the bus to arrive we had a little chat about his day:

Me: Hey buddy, do you know why you had some one on one time with Daddy and then with Mummy today?

F: No, why?

M: Well, we wanted to make you feel special and to thank you for being so patient and helpful this week.

F: Awwwwwwww

M: What do you mean when you say ‘Awwwwwww’?

F: Awwww, I just love that.

*My sweet boy, we need to give you this time more often. I love spending time with you, letting you direct the conversation and doing things that you find fun. I will make sure our next one on one date isn't too far away. Love, Mumma Bear. x

3 comments:

  1. Amber, you are so inspiring. You were born to be a mother. That is all. xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. <3. Thank you Andi, that is the most beautiful thing to say.

      Delete
  2. amber this post seriously made me tear up. you are so devoted in your mothering and i love how you are looking at the current issues with Harper in a bigger light of your whole family and also including your sweet boy. what an absolutely lovely way to give him some positive attention in light of your week... i can tell it meant the world to him, just such a great idea! Press on Mama, you are doing wonderfully xx

    ReplyDelete