Sunday 20 May 2012

Documenting Delight: day one hundred and forty one {rainbow party}

Today we had the pleasure of attending Finn and Harper’s cousin Sofia's Rainbow themed birthday party. Her mum, Suzie, created an amazing party; a visual feast for the eyes, scrumptious food and thoughtful touches that grabbed the children’s attention.
Suzie is a talented sewer/crafter and is an organisational master. Hosting children’s parties is her arena. The girl has been putting together classy dessert tables well before their popularity hit the likes of Mummy blogs and Pinterest. In putting together this event she harnessed the powers of Pinterest (for good, rather than the time wasting I seem to be drawn into), sourcing some great ideas, alongside a few original creations.  
When I arrived I didn’t know what to photograph first. There was so much to take in and I really wanted to do all her hard work justice. I took my time, focusing in on all the bright and beautiful details and once again walked away from Suzie’s house vowing that one day I will learn how to sew. 
Get ready, I went a little overboard with the clicking today.  
{the birthday girl's rainbow skirt. handmade by her Mum. yep, she's got talent}
{our budget didn't allow for a new rainbow party dress. instead I purchased this crochet-covered beaded necklace from the black sheep to add a little rainbow colour to harper's outfit}
{handmade rainbow bunting}
{circle garlands: scrapbook circles sewn together}
{party food; for the kiddies and adults too}
{a rainbow of flowers: gerberas, cornflowers, roses and chrysanthemums}

{rainbow jelly cups}
{mineral water rainbow drinks}

{100's + 1000's pinwheels and polka dot cookies from Donna Hay Kid's Magazine}
{THE rainbow layed cake}
{stunning cake topper: tiny rainbow hearts}
{playing in the birthday girl's new cupcake shop}
{a rainbow beauty shop was set up for all the kids to select some accessories and get their nails painted. genius idea from Suzie!}

{harper's first nail painting experience}

{a small milk bottle collection previously used for flower arrangements. repurposed today as a rainbow pencil display.}

{rainbow streamers handmade by Suzie as gifts for all the kids}


{the BIG cake reveal}

{a thumbs up from Mr Finn}

Thank you Suzie for allowing me to share all the love and effort you poured into your daughter’s party. It was a joy to photograph and be a part of.

12 comments:

  1. wow. WOW. wow again!!! yeah, that is one seriously amazing party!!!! cannot even fathom the work involved, but you can tell she must have loved it! soooo many fun and gorgeous things, that cake was SO cool, the decorations, everything! what a fun day for the kids too.... loved looking at it all! (but tired just from thinking about it, lol!). Amazing talented lady and tho im assuming its a SIL, the party talents clearly still run in the family :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Suzie, please throw a birthday party for me!!!!!

    THAT IS INSANE! {but so so so AWESOME} great photos :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow. That is completely awesome. I thought the cake looked amazing before it was cut but WOAH! You did a great job documenting the details.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh my goodness! This party is AMAZING!!! I love every single detail. That cake is superb. These photos are lovely. x

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a fantastic theme for a party, looks absolutely amazing! What a massive effort, I'm blown away. Photos are fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
  6. amazing. AMAZING party! what an awesome time. (Harper's necklace totally steals the show!)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow she did an amazing job! And so did you, all the photos are magazine worthy!

    That puts Blake's rainbow party to shame!

    ReplyDelete
  8. NO way, this blows my mind!! I am a massive rainbow fan and I want to be at this party so much...I'm sure my kids would too...but especially me!! Awesome looking party and fab photos, I especially love the first one of Harper and the one of her first nail polish experience, those little baby fingers with coloured nails is just the sweetest :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow! What an amazing party! I too love the theme!

    ReplyDelete
  10. This looks great! I was wondering if you remember how to make those "rainbow galaxy sandwiches," or if you could direct me to a specific link on Donna Hay's website. Our school is doing a galaxy themed homecoming, and those sandwiches would be perfect for some themed snacks. Thank you so much!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Rachel, I didn't actually make them (my sister in law did). The recipe isn't online as it from one of Donna Hay's printed magazines. From the picture it just looks like it is white bread, crust cut off, flatted with a rolling pin then spreading one side with margarine/butter and sprinkling with 100s & 1000s. Roll the bread up tightly then cut the rolled bread into two. Hope that helps!

      Delete